We do not have any open paid positions at this time. One of the best ways to seek employment at the zoo is to volunteer or intern first. We tend to hire directly from our volunteer and Intern pool prior to posting positions outside the organization.
Volunteers are needed year round on a daily basis seven days a week. There is limited space for volunteers, and availablility may vary throughout the year.
Assignments may include:
- Animal Husbandry Volunteers: Feeding animals, changing waters, cleaning enclosures. Most animal care is performed between the hours of 10:00 and 3:00.
- Fundraising Volunteers: Help the Board of Directors, Executive Director, and Development Assistant with fundraising efforts.
- Marketing Volunteers: Help out with special events and distributing fliers at events, assist Executive Director with marketing efforts at the Zoo.
- Graphics Volunteers: Artists and Graphic designers needed to help provide educational graphics at the zoo.
- Clerical & Office Volunteers: Assist with book keeping, memberships, mailing lists, etc.
- Education Volunteers: Assist Education Coordinator with giving animal presentations and group outreach programs.
To volunteer at GLZS-Zoo please call 734-332-1628 or e-mail Info@glzszoo.org
Friends of the Zoo Board
Become a FOZZIE!!
What is Friends of the Zoo? (FOZ)
A volunteer organization that assists the Great Lakes Zoological Society in fulfilling our mission to enhance public awareness of the need for wildlife conservation and education. The Friends of the Zoo chapter is a group that focuses on planning exciting events such as our Halloween event, other holiday zoo events, flower and garden planting and care, etc. We need individuals with varying talents and interests. Technology, social media, marketing, artists, landscape design, event planners, musicians, carpenters and contractors, grant writers, and people who know people!
Additionally, any volunteers who are interested in animal husbandry will be selected from the friends of the zoo volunteer chapter, so this is a great place to begin your involvement with us! All FOZ members will receive a yearly membership once they complete an event with us. So come on, become a FOZZIE today!
Contact Sara Mccune at Saramccune@glzszoo.org for additional information.
Unpaid internships are offered year round. Interns must be at least 17 years of age and must be willing to work at least 20 hours a week and for a period of at least 10 weeks. Flexible hours are available.
- Marketing Intern: Help out with special events and distributing fliers at events, assist Executive Director with marketing efforts at the Zoo.
- Animal Husbandry: Feeding animals, changing waters, cleaning enclosures.
- Research: Research potential grant opportunities. Writing grant proposals. Researching global weather conditions and habitat needs for specific animals.
- Graphics Intern: Artists and Graphic designers needed to help provide educational graphics at the zoo.
- Education Intern: Assist Education Coordinator with giving animal presentations and group outreach programs.
A formal interview will be required of all applicants.
To apply for an internship at GLZS-Zoo please send your resume and cover letter to Info@glzszoo.org