We have one open paid position at this time.
Conservation Center Mascot: Great Lakes Zoological Society is looking for outgoing, dynamic and creative individuals to join our part-time birthday team to perform as costume character during children's parties at the zoo. The right candidate must be professional and a team player with customer focus. Must be able to work days/evenings/weekends and handle the demands of working in full body costume.
One of the best ways to seek employment at the zoo is to volunteer or intern first. We tend to hire directly from our volunteer and Intern pool prior to posting positions outside the organization.
Volunteers are needed year round on a daily basis seven days a week here at the zoo. Our volunteers make a huge difference, and get awesome experience working with our zoo keepers. There is limited space for volunteers, and availability may vary throughout the year.
Available Assignments may include:
- Animal Husbandry Volunteer: Feeding animals, providing water, cleaning enclosures, help with preparing diets, interacting with the public about our animals, and some other cleaning and maintenance duties. Most animal care is performed between the hours of 10:00 and 3:00. We ask that volunteers come in one or more days a week.
- Fund-raising and Marketing Volunteers: Help the Board of Directors, Executive Director and Development assistant. Help out with planning and at special events, distributing fliers, social media, assist Development Assistant with fundraising efforts and Executive Director with marketing efforts at the Zoo.
- Education Volunteers: Assist Education Coordinator with giving animal presentations and group outreach programs.
- Graphics Volunteers: Artists and Graphic designers needed to help provide educational materials for the zoo and outreach programs.
- Clerical & Office Volunteers: Assist with book keeping, memberships, mailing lists, etc.
To volunteer at GLZS-Zoo please call 734-332-1628 or e-mail Info@glzszoo.org
Click here to view the volunteer application.
Paid internships are offered on a limited basis. Click on each internship to read more about it. Internships will require a formal interview and resume.
- Summer Camp Education Internship: Interns will help teach campers proper animal husbandry techniques, safe handling of native and exotic wildlife, food preparation and other husbandry duties. Camp interns will lead groups in a classroom setting, and be prepared to provide environmental education to campers both inside and outside. June 9 - August 22, 2014
- Animal Husbandry Internship: Interns will help with nutrition, diet preparation and feeding the animals, animal enrichment and enclosure maintenance, handling and interacting with the public about our animals, record keeping, and collaborate on a group research project. Summer internships typically run 10-12 weeks.
A formal interview will be required of all applicants.
Friends of the Zoo Board
Become a FOZZIE!!
What is Friends of the Zoo? (FOZ)
A volunteer organization that assists the Great Lakes Zoological Society in fulfilling our mission to enhance public awareness of the need for wildlife conservation and education. The Friends of the Zoo chapter is a group that focuses on planning exciting events such as our Halloween event, other holiday zoo events, flower and garden planting and care, etc. We need individuals with varying talents and interests. Technology, social media, marketing, artists, landscape design, event planners, musicians, carpenters and contractors, grant writers, and people who know people!
Additionally, any volunteers who are interested in animal husbandry get preference from the friends of the zoo volunteer chapter, so this is a great place to begin your involvement with us! All FOZ members will receive a yearly membership once they complete an event with us. So come on, become a FOZZIE today!
Contact Sara Mccune at Saramccune@glzszoo.org for additional information.