If you are interested in adoption, please visit us to learn more. The GLZS has a strict policy regarding animal adoption.
- An adoption agreement must be signed with any animal adoption. Click here to view the adoption agreement.
- An adoption fee is required for any animal adoption.
- Because of reptiles specific housing needs, you will be required to provide proof of proper enclosure, lighting, heat, UV, and supplements appropriate for the animal you are adopting. Usually, a photograph showing equipment and enclosure size is acceptable.
- You must demonstrate adequate husbandry knowledge about the animal you are adopting, or be trained by our staff in proper care for the animal.
- The GLZS reserves the right to refuse adoption to anyone without cause, or withdraw an animal from an adoption at any time.
Surrender of Reptile Pets
The Great Lakes Zoological Society's World of Discovery offers a reptile and amphibian rescue program. You can make arrangements to surrender your reptile or amphibian to our Conservation Center and we will work to place these animals within appropriate homes, schools, zoos, rescues, or maintain them ourselves.
A tax deductible surrender donation of $50.00 is required to surrender any animal to the World of Discover. In order to protect the health of all of the animals at the center, all new animals coming into the facility have to be tested for parasites. We have to pass this cost onto the surrenderer in order to keep the center open. Click here to view the surrender agreement.
Because we only take in new reptiles and amphibians when space is available, and we are currently at capacity, there is a waiting list to surrender animals. We do not have the available space to take in aquatic turtles, including sliders, at this time.
Sorry, due to space restrictions, we cannot take in alligators of any size. We may not be able to take in some species of boas due to the risk of Inclusion Body Disease (IBD) pathogens.